SSEENNSSEESS has two forms: an installation and a live concert.
SSEENNSSEESS live performance features silent film loops by Taanila and live music by Circle. The recording of the first SSEENNSSEESS concert 22 November, 2014 is available on Ektro Records.
The installation is site-specific and features a two soundtracks. One with a low-pitched, static drone created by Taanila on keyboards. The other consists of vocal excerpts from Past, Present and Future (1966) by The Shangri-Las. The same lyrics are also interpreted here by ex-Abba singer Agnetha Fältskog’s cover version (2004). The looping of the images and sounds at mismatched intervals creates a work that is never the same at any two moments.
The projectors show early 1950s scientific footage from Helsinki University’s Department of Phonetics. Part of the footage has been digitally manipulated by the artist.
- 25FPS, Zagreb, Croatia (live show)
- Jyväskylän kesä, 2018 (live show)
- Gegenkino, UT Connewitz, Leipzig, 2017
- Bildrausch Festival, Basel (live show)
- Mind The Gap / IFFR, WORM, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 2014 (live show)
- Pneuma, Kiasma Theatre, Helsinki, Finland, 2013 (live show)
- Aikakoneita – Time Machines, Kiasma Museum of Contemporary Art, Helsinki, Finland, 2013 (installation)